Saturday 25 May 2013

The Rainbow Virus - Dennis Meredith Review

Publisher: Glyphus LLC
Published: 2 February 2013
Source: Netgalley
Pages: 408
Genre: Adult Science Fiction, thriller.
Rating: 3.5 stars.
Synopsis: The Rainbow Virus is a gripping, realistic bioterrorism tale that launches readers on a harrowing adventure with the flips and plunges of the wildest roller coaster.

At first, loner scientist Arthur Lupo seems the most eccentric bioterrorist of all time. After vanishing from his lab at a biotech company, he releases viruses that only turn their victims a palette of colors. But then his chief pursuers—disgraced FBI agent Bobby Loudon and obsessive CDC epidemic-tracker Kathleen Shinohara—discover a horrifying fact. The brilliant Lupo has stolen the world's most lethal viruses from the Army's bioterrorism center.

Lupo reveals that his first viruses were only a test. He dramatically proves their infectivity by transforming the terrified citizens of Denver into a rainbow of colors. In a chilling declaration, he announces that he will now release an unstoppable artificial virus whose spread will decimate the world's population.

Loudon and Shinohara must race against time, a mysterious assassin, and a secret government faction to find Lupo and stop him.
In Short: Really defied my expectations, a very enjoyable thriller.


Review:
I really liked the idea behind this book. I enjoy anything to do with virology (take Partials, for example) and I mean, he added rainbows! Rainbows! No seriously, the medical aspect was really well-written and interesting, especially to my science-loving mind.

At first, I thought I was going to hate this book. I guess I should've got the YA version, but I had the adult one and so I had the doubtful pleasure of reading the swearwords and comments about ogling women. Oh, and the main character's constant remarks about how hot the female main character is. They're both adults.

Also, the writing style isn't beautiful. Maybe that's too much to ask, but I like it when the prose in a novel carries nice imagery and creative use of language. Here the language is used solely to communicate the story, without much heed paid to the way it's expressed.

On a positive note, the virology was informatively, entertainingly written and Doc and Shinohara's platonic relationship was enjoyable. The information about the FBI and the CDC made for great reading, especially the politics of the departments.

I really liked reading about the different colours people were turning and how that was related to real illnesses and their susceptibility to them. The story bodes ominously for the prospects of bioterrorism, which was one of my favourite parts of it.

The suspense is built up tautly to the end, where it closes on a massive surprise, which I loved. Shinohara shows another part of her character in a bold, admirable move It was also nice that it's a one shot for a change.

I took off 1.5 stars for the references to women that went too far and the fact that the characterisation sometimes fell a little flat, but it's a thrilling storyline. I'd recommend it for light beach reading, especially coming up to summer!

___________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry for the delay in posting, I've been dealing with exams and a break-up, which both suck. But the exams will be over in a few weeks, and then I'll be back to normal.

2 comments:

  1. Heh, I agree - virology plus rainbows seems like a pretty winning combination! Glad you liked this one overall. I quite like that concept so I think I would like this one, too. Though I agree with you on always wanting writing that tries a bit harder with imagery and creativity.

    Hope things are going well with you despite everything that you've been dealing with lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was <3 We have such a similar taste in books, it's awesome. Thank you, it's mostly alright now :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?